Are you looking for an alternative to maple syrup for your waffles and pancakes? This blueberry compote is easy, scrumptious and uses dates for a little extra sweetness.
- 1 six-ounce container of organic blueberries, which is one regular small plastic container, rinsed and picked through to remove any broken or moldy ones
- 2 medjool dates, soaked, peeled and pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- While you make your pancakes or waffles, soak dates in warm water to soften
- Peel and pit the dates in order to use the soft flesh of the dates
- Combine the blueberries, dates, vanilla and water in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Use a wooden spoon to stir and gently break up the berries and dates as they soften and begin to pop.
- Remove the pan from heat once the berries and dates turn into a thick sauce