It stands to reason that wherever you are, temperatures have started to drop, days are getting much shorter, and, with Thanksgiving upon us in the US, the need for coziness is in full force.
This usually means a full transition away from cooling, cleansing foods to more warming, grounding foods, like root vegetables, spices and citrus, and definitely soups and stews. When you think about early winter, don’t you think about oranges and cloves and roots like sweet potatoes and yams pulled from the root cellar?
There’s a great reason for those foods … they boost immunity. Add them to soups and stews, and the body will get an extra boost in its digestive process because those cooking methods help with digestion. With the kick-off of soup and stew season, I want to share the vegan version of a Food and Hearth favorite: Sweet Potato Almond Ginger Soup. It was fun to make this soup with my friends at Filbert and Co. (for more about our day together, head here.)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups vegetable stock (I like to make my own because it’s so easy and adds a lot of vibrant veggie love to all your recipes. My recipe for vegetable stock is here)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup smooth almond butter
- 1 cup baby spinach (or any other winter green, like chard or kale)
- 2 tablespoons peeled and grated/minced fresh ginger
- Real salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium/high heat, until shimmering.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Add sweet potato and ginger.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Let simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the almond butter and 1/2 cup of the soup mixture into a thick paste.
- Stir in the almond butter paste.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach simmer, covered, for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, and top generously with cubed avocados in lime juice.